Good laboratory practice suggests the use of positive and negative controls to ensure that test reagents are working and that the test is correctly performed. BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card kits contain a Positive Control Swab and Sterile Swabs that can be used as a Negative Control Swab. These swabs will monitor the entire assay.
Test these swabs once with each new shipment received and once for each untrained operator. Further controls may be tested in order to conform with local, state and/or federal regulations, accrediting groups, or your lab’s standard Quality Control procedures. Refer to the product insert, found in each test kit, for complete instructions on how to perform Quality Control testing.
If you have numerous operators to train you may need additional Quality Control swabs. Below are examples to help guide you:
- For each shipment: 1 set of QC swabs (positive and negative) is run to validate the shipment, then 1 operator can be trained for every test kit received in that shipment.
- 5 kits received: 4 operators can be trained (1 QC of shipment, 4 operators can be trained)
- 10 kits received: 9 operators can be trained (1 QC of shipment, 9 operators can be trained)
- 50 kits received: 49 operators can be trained (1 QC of shipment, 49 operators can be trained)
- If there are more operators than test kits:
- 2 kits received with 4 operators to be trained – 1 QC of shipment, 1 operator can be trained with the 2 kits received. Will need to request 1 BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Control Kit from HHS.
- Please note: 1 control kit can train up to 10 operators
If you have more operators than test kits, below is the ordering information for additional swabs:
|BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag Card Control Kit (10 Positive Swabs)